One more achievement in our defense sector began with confirmation of manufacturing unit for AK-203 rifles in Uttar Pradesh’s Amethi district. Though Indian Millitary is among the top 5 forces of the world and it was very much required to get all –weather durable assault rifles as INSAS- India Small Arms System is riddled with problems.
We all know that from many years Indian Millitary and other paramilitary forces have been trying to find the alternative solution of INSAS rifle as the problem of it was like its jamming problem, going in automatic mode, and many other problems were faced by the soldiers and other forces. Even we faced a huge problem during the Kargil war when our rifles got jammed while taking on enemies as magazines got freezed.Later soldiers who were deployed in the counter-terror operations in J&K and in areas of North East are using imported guns or AK-47. Also CRPF has also switched over to AK-47. Other forces like Marine, NSG, Garud commando force are using Israel made automatic rifles and sub machine guns.
INSAS rifles being manufactured in Ordnance factory of Tiruchirapalli, Rifle factory Ichaapur in West Bengal and Kanpur small arm factory.
The AK-203 is the latest and most advanced version of the legendary AK-47 rifle, the most abundant firearm the world has ever known. New Delhi and Moscow signed an inter-governmental agreement (IGA) in the third week of February to build the AK-203 in India. A formal contract is yet to be signed, but the first of an estimated 7,50,000 AK-203 rifles are expected to roll off the production line later this year.
Let us have a look on some of the important features of AK 203
- India has signed a deal with a Russian firm to manufacture 750,000 of these assault rifles which would be given to the Army’s infantry troops
- AK-203 is the latest derivative of the legendary AK-47 rifle
- Apart from this, the Defence Ministry has already signed a contract with American Sig Sauer for the supply of 7.69mm 59 calibre advanced assault rifles.
- There is a possibility that 15 to 20 years down the line, all the forces would be using this assault rifle as their standard weapon.
The Specifications of AK-203 are :-
- AK 203 General specifications:
- Caliber- 7.62×39.
- Action – Gas operated, rotating bolt locking mech.
- Length- 880-940mm, 705
- Barrel length- 415mm (16.5inch)
- Weight- 4.1KG with empty mag.
- Rate of fire- 600 rounds
- Effective Range- 500m with iron sight, 800m with 4X scope
At the end we can clearly say it is big step in development & expansion of our technology. Our forces will be getting more advanced weapons and also the factory set up will be giving the boost to people in getting employment.